Friday 8 September 2006

Geting settled in

Greetings everyone,

I haven't done much yet and have not ventured into central London so as you can tell, I'm stuck by my laptop a fair bit and I think my blog posts might diminish a bit as time goes by, but for now, I can impart a few of my musings:

  • I arrived in London about 6:30 in the morn and it took over an hour to get through immigration. Luckily our bags didn't get checked - although a customs dude came up to me while I was walking through and asked where I was from. I just gave him a deadpan look and said flatly "Sydney" and he was like "oh, that's fine" - hahaha I was on a plane from Hong Kong, so he must've thought I'd like stashed away dried mushrooms...
  • The car trip to my uncle's place took freakin' 2 hours - man you think Sydney traffic is bad, you should try driving here - it can be in the middle of the day in some little lane, but there'll be a traffic jam - compared to Sydneysiders, London drivers a bit more scary but probably more skilled in the sense they have to be to avoid all those potential accidents. Foe example, they kind of just turn out from a side road without any notice and it's normal over here - no beeping of horns or smattering of expletives.
  • The first place we went to (me, my aunt, uncle, lil cousin and grandma) was . . . wait for it . . . Ikea. Hahaha, it was a gi-normous one though and lemme tell you, walking through a maze of furniture, trying to find the exit when you're jet-lagged and haven't slept properly for 48 hours. We were trying to find a shower head and left empty-handed.

No comments: